Sunday, May 1, 2016

Gratitude day #8 - The Light Dawns

Today was a sunday, and that means church!
Got to church late. Woken up last night by a picture on the wall that crashed. Was shaken up about that for a while. Couldn't sleep. So josh took Isabel to church....even tho he didn't get much sleep either. Love him. Got to church for 3rd hour. Saw Isabel in nursery. Hannah watched her for me. Love her too!

Was reminded of our dinner with the leavitts. They live really close to us. Family with like 7 kids. We had talked a while ago on a Wednesday and found out we had a lot in common.... At least when it comes to our add tendencies. So we had a lot to talk about!!

Went over there and it was awesome. The conversation we had was like a lightbulb... Especially for josh! He came home tonight and was ready eyed and dumbfounded , still trying to process all the information. The missing link to his life. It makes him sad because he wishes he would have known this sooner , because life has been so difficult for him. Brother Leavitts has many of the exact same issues as Josh. Did poorly on tests. Couldn't focus. The list goes on. The whole time we were like YES!!! That is 1000 % us! Even sister leavitt has some issues. Like me. But different. Anyway. He was saying that we (josh and I) both have add/ADHD but different types and we balance each other out. We help one another in our weak areas. Yes. So true. He takes medicine. He said the difference for him was night and day. And I believe it.like he couldn't even sleep because he could think and focus so clearly. He was so excited. Medicine, they said, is necessary in a society that doesn't acknowledge the skills of these people. In a culture where there's a million different desicions to make , it really is. Handicap to have trouble focusing. It takes 10x the effort of someone with add to do what someone without it can do.

Wish I could recount the full convo.

Isabel loved their family too!! The kids are so well behaved and mature with her. I felt I could trust them totally with her. And Isabel was really enjoying their company. They weren't loud or obnoxious. These are the kids I want my daughter to associate with! It is such a stark contrast from the kids you see in nursery, and primary. In general. Kids just don't have respect. They push other kids around and the teacher won't do anything about it!

Just makes me worry. I want Isabel to grow and flourish and enjoy socializing. I am feeling more and more that homeschooling my kids is the best option. It would be so awesome if my kids had friends with other homeschool kiddos. I will pray on this... But upon finding out my daughter almost certainly has sensory issues like josh and I (or sensory gifts!) As society would not acknowledge, I feel that she needs to grow up in an environment that encourages physical activity and exploration....not squash it.

I know, however, it would be tough for me. I'm also not sure if she would get enough social interaction. I would need to make sure she is a part of a homeschool group. I'd like to live somewhere that I knew there would be one.

Learned lots of things. It was so refreshing to talk to someone who gets it!! Also who understands my parenting . not to reinforce picky eating by dismissing them if they won't eat or if they throw their food. Their kids est even the things they don't like. Or they don't eat. There is no way that she would make individual meals for each child. It is so so tough to put your foot down like that, but I see that it definitely pays off in the long run.

I need to ask her more about how she punishes or rewards her kiddos. Like what would you do if your child deliberately disobeyed you? (Ate the pudding)?

Wow...anyway here's my 10 a day
1. Leavitts giving me s treadmill!!!!!!
2. Spending time with the Leavitts, connecting and finding support with them... Learning about our issues and finally figuring out why we struggle so much!
3. Isabel playing with the kids and exploring a new home.
4. Isabel enjoying the nature walk , or neighborhood walk. Walking at least half of the way with us and not running into the street. Knowing the boundaries. And walking with us willingly!
5. Isabel's increased efforts to talk.
6. Josh's love towards me. His affection and help.
7. Josh stretching my legs so my hips got a stretch. Also back massage.
8. The lesson in young woman's ... On prayer and sis shriebers story about the girl with anxiety and depression that made such a huge influence on her. Knowing what to do to help her.
9. Planning out field trip ideas for Isabel, and setting the alarm for our schedule. Stsrting a routine. Need to pray for help to keep it.
10. Overwhelming feeling of happiness and gratitude I feel today. I feel a burden has been lifted. Treadmill for me....medicine for josh.... help with our afflictions and figuring out how to overcome them. God is reaching out his hand to offer help.

No comments:

Post a Comment